Saturday, April 14, 2012

3D Ultrasounds :) International Quilt Show

Mosaic Quilt by Susan Ward
Saturday April 14, 2012


My Brother Bob had gotten four tickets to the "International Quilt Festival". Which is at the Duke Energy Convention Center in Cincinnati, OH/ I can leave my house and be parked in the garage of this center in nine minutes..... I had no intentions of going due to my health. After I drank my coffee  I started thinking about going, I called Melba asked her what she though, she said it would lift my spirits. SO Brook, Melba and I went. It was like  stepping into another world. Things to look at, folks to meet and of course shopping. I did really well for an hour. I was ready to leave, we got a snack and I drank a lot of water and a second wind.


We had a great time though we were unable to see everything. But we got to go:)

3D ultrasounds for breast cancer has been  a recent news story in regards to 
early dedication  of breast cancer. I am hopeful that this type of ultrasound will be used widely with mammogram's. This is something  I 
believe in strongly .
My experience with mammograms has taught me a lot.
The person conducting the monogram is the first one to see possible issues. I had breast implants as I was a very small breasted woman, without the implants they would NEVER have been able to do a mammogram on me. For years I had a yearly diagnostic mammogram. Always it was a challenge , the implants would slip, they would loose  the breast tissue.  I am not sure if I ever had  a decent test done until the last one I had in 



December 2011. I had an  Ultrasound Technician  I had never met before, she explained  to me  it was very difficult to get an accurate reading due to my situation. I told her to do what ever she had to do, to not worry about hurting me. She was like an angel she did it she helped save my life!    The radiologist was able to see multiple calcifications. The mass and the tumors were not discovered until the day of my surgical biopsy... at that time they performed an ultrasound and the radiologist saw everything. I was beginning my new journey  with aggressive breast cancer, that was spreading quickly  The mammogram was not enough to find the cancer!
 The Ultrasound Technicians need a support system - my best friened who is a nurse will not get a mammogram because it hurts her back, The poor techs are totally responsible for the test, its outcome  and the comfort of the patient. I know as women we complain about  the mammograms  nobody  likes them -  however we need to understand - this will be uncomfortable and even  painful, woman need to get it!  Ladies you  need to get it, this is just the way it is. It will be over in 15 mintues  and it could save your life, your sister or daughter's life. Cancer is very often genetic.    The tech's are doing their jobs which is to detect any signs or  stages of breast cancer!
 If the techs have to   constantly worry about the patients comfort, this could and I am sure has effected the out come of many mammograms. 

(2007 my cancer was found by the radiologist, once they found it:) and  it was time  for doing a biopsy they needed to have an exact location and to mark the location so they know where to go.. The day of surgery they were not able to pinpoint the mark so they used an ultra sound and bingo they found it)
Logically, when you think about the differences are hugh between an ultrasound and a mammogram.  The doctors study the imagoes. However they are not aware of the actual mammogram as it  takes place. Today we have amazing teams of Doctor's who work together to determine what we need as an individual patient.  Do they know  everything ?  Do they or the insurance companies   realized that when somebody is getting a mammogram and  has breast implants how hard it to stabilize the implants?

   I think this could be a reason why some women are not diagnosed as soon as they could be. There are millions of women who have had breast implants. If  you have breast implants please request an ultrasound it is your body. It is your life. Ya for 3D ultra sounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment