Sunday, June 10, 2012

Steroids and Chemo

As much as I dislike the steroids I have taken my  breakfast and than lunch dose. Sugar and I have lots of energy so we went for our walk. Sugar is taking a nap and I am blogging and watching HGTV. I also am eating pizza.  Tomorrow I get to spend the day with my chemo friends. I will see Dr. Bhandari, I have lots of questions and am anxious to see what happens next. I know I will be going on an oral treatment program. At one point I was told this will be for 10 years. However there is not a set treatment plan. It changes from time to time or always changes.   He always looks at what is the best for me as an individual patient and what is happening to my body at the time and of course what is going on in medical research.


I plan on making a full recovery. I know in the real world and from the lab reports, which show me as a high risk for reoccurring. The goal of my medical team is to stop this nasty little cancer from
reoccurring. I am certain that with magic of modern research and discovery of  I will be fine!


This is truly a "Relay For Life" - thank you American Cancer Association who fights to beat cancer!


Here is some information  on the genetic research field that is happening from the Mayo Clinic.
My brothers and I are going to be part of this research. My brother Bob had bone cancer as a child and from what I know, is the genes they are looking for ( which might not show up in my testing)  could show up in one of siblings.  My goals are  awareness of genetic cancer and also to maybe pave a path for others that are traveling a similar journey. This picture is of my Aunt Bernice (my Mother's sister She had breast and ovarian cancer) My Father Bob Ward, who died of colon and stomach cancer at the age of 63, and Beryl Christen (my Grandmother) 


In recent years, genetic testing to predict your cancer risk has become more available. As researchers learn more about how genes can predict your cancer risk, it's important to consider all the options.
If you're in a high-risk family, you may be considering genetic testing. The most common cancers that have a genetic component include breast, ovarian, prostate and colon cancers (along with many others as well).
Before you undergo genetic testing, gather as much information as you can about your family and medical history. Talk with your doctor or a genetic counselor about your personal and family medical history. This will help you better understand your risk. Discuss any questions or concerns you have about genetic testing. Also, talk about what your options will be, depending on the results of the test.
If a positive genetic test is discovered, you'll be able to talk with an expert about your specific risk. Some of the benefits of genetic testing include early interventions to decrease risk of actually developing cancer, such as:
  • More frequent screening tests (detecting cancer earlier with increased survival rate — colon cancer is a good example)
  • Prevention strategies including positive lifestyle changes (such as diet and exercise)
  • Informed decisions can be made for pro-active interventions (for example a decision to have prophylactic mastectomy or removal of ovaries for women with high risk to develop breast or ovarian cancer)
The field of studying genes for predicting cancer is evolving constantly. We are only at the beginning stages of understanding how genes predict our cancer risk and many other aspects of health.
Please share your thoughts on this topic and your personal experiences.

8 comments posted

blog index
MY01627 Dec. 18, 2010
© 1998-2012 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "EmbodyHealth," "Enhance your life," and the triple-shield Mayo Clinic logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment