Tuesday, July 17, 2012

New Breasts and New Hair are on the Horizion

Hello Everyone! 
It is hot in Cincinnati/Northern KY
I am finally feeling better! I was beginning to think I was just going to turn into an inactive boring aging  elder woman. I am five weeks and 2 days  out of chemo! My chemo days are a thing of the past and I am moving forward  on new life paths. I still have not made it to working in the yard ~ we are having a drought and another heat wave. I am getting bored.


My blood work is good and my bones are actually stronger that they were a year ago. Thank you to the horrid bone marrow shots I had to have after each round of chemo.


Tuesday  July 24, 2012 - I am having the expanders removed and my reconstruction surgery:)  I can not wait to get this done! I feel like I have rocks on my chest. Good bye to the expanders  which are tied to my ribs and full of sterile  solution . The surgical procedure is done as an out patient procedure - a fairly simple surgery. I THINK!  Of course this involves all the pre-surgery things that I have to do. A  pre-surgery physical with my family Dr. and an EKG. Another visit to Dr Vashi (plastic surgeon) - who I just saw last week. Than the pre- physical they give you at the hospital . The best thing is I will have my new breasts and they will be perfect and soft! I will be healed  for my trip to the beach:)


My hair is kind of interesting - I have a few bits of white fuzz on top of my head. I have heard all kinds of stories about the regrowth of after chemo hair. My oncologist Dr. Bhandari- commented the fuzz I have is just the first growth of hair  eventually I will have a second growth of hair. How long does this take? A few years! Usually the hair comes in curly ( I guess the hair follicles are damaged and the hair grows crooked) It also changes color - somethings it comes in red or different colors. Well, this white stuff is going to make me look like a  Q-tip. I anticipate by fall I will be wearing my wig! Gray hair is not my style.

Thanks for following my journey. Remember early detection saves lives! As we age we need to follow Dr's orders - mammograms and colonoscopy's are a must!


xoxox
Susan

The American Cancer Society “Guidelines for the Early Detection of Cancer” recommend, beginning at age 50, both men and women follow f these testing schedules for screening to find colon polyps and cancer: 1. Flexible  Colonoscopy    every 5 years.


My new hair!




Tissue expanders - these will be gone next week yayayaya



No comments:

Post a Comment