Saturday, March 3, 2012

Recovery and Reconstruction

March 03, 2012
No rhyme or reason - part of my  reconstruction surgery was the placement of expanders which are a charming device that has a port in the middle of mesh material this is a pocket surrounded by a metal frame. This is a bit like a balloon which will slowly will  be filled with saline solution. The purpose is to stretch the skin. If the tissue survives and is healthy, the expander will be replaced with a  breast implant, eventually, after I complete the chemo. This means  one more surgery.

The good thing is  this contraption will be gone! The result oo la la natural and youthful bosom.  Of course this skin/tissue has  been or will be through a massive amount is stress. Like seven surgeries in the last four and a half years and thirty radiation treatments. All this in that one little breast. Still to come four  to five months of chemo. This is a lot of stress for this  63 year old skin. I am very lucky though I have been blessed with a magical ability to heal fast.  My Dr.'s are hopeful  I will not need to have any transplant of tissue from other parts of my body. :)

The not so comfortable expanders are a pain as I am healing.  These little foreign things  create pressure which has turned in to a constant nagging pain.  On top of this I  have what feels like a pinched nerve or shingles pain. This is severe pain - thank goodness it is not constant. It does slow me down. Dr. Vashi has assured me this will eventually go away.  Oh well, when you have cancer you just deal with all this crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment