Monday, March 19, 2012

First Day With The Chemo DR.




March 19, 2012
Peter and I have had a busy day. We had my weekly visit Dr Vaschi. He added some
more saline to the "ace" expanders that I have on my chest. He uses a needle (I have two ports) and they pump it in. Kind of like pumping up a tire.
Then we went to visit Cincinnati Hematology- Oncology, to meet with Dr. Bhandari. This was a very informative consolation. He talked about how aggressive this cancer had been (he said HAD) He has ordered a full body scan, bone scan and CT scan of my lungs.. Just to make sure all of my body is cancer free. He said they need to watch my lungs, if it would reappear the lungs could be a target. This is just a precaution before they start the chemo. He wants to make sure he has the right treatment plan. After the chemo they redo these scans.
This is a big relief, I am a positive thinker but it does concern me a bit - what about the rest of my body it is scary. Dr. Bhanadri is going to take care of everything!
He has two drugs that I will receive over a 16 week period Cytoxan this is classified as an "alkylating agent"and Taxotere is classified as a "plant alkaloid, a taxene and a antimicrotuble agent". This is given with a pre medication for three days, a corticosteroid pill , starting the day before treatment. There are many side effects :(
The good thing is the breast cancer if out of my body and I am right on plan - for attending Indian Market in Santa Fe with Jenny and Beth the end of August:)


No comments:

Post a Comment